Monday, July 29, 2013

Cancer Sucks.


I guess it's time I write about this, since I'm getting many questions.  A little bit of me thinks things aren't true if I don't admit to them...but in my dad's case, he has very real, very true cancer.  Colon cancer to be exact.  Unfortunately, he is stubborn (I guess the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree, right?)  Until this spring, he had never had a colonoscopy.  I guess it's not something people look forward to, but I'm here to tell you that it's a necessity.  One that I'm not looking forward to having, but I'll be damn sure to get one when I turn 45 (in a LOOOOOONG time from now ;) 

Anyway, onto the facts.  My dad is having surgery tomorrow, Tuesday, July 30th, bright and early in the morning.  They will be removing about 8 inches of his colon.  They are using a super-cool robot, which will make the surgery precise, and his recovery time much less.  It will take an estimated 3 hours, then he'll be out of it for the rest of the day.  We've been talking about how the recovery, etc, will be much similar to my c-sections.  You don't realize how much you use your abdomen until you can't!  Ouch.  Anyway, he's tough and strong, and he'll do awesome.  That's the good part. 

A couple weeks ago, they poked him like a pin cushion, and much like a vampire, they helped themselves to vials and vials of his blood.  Even though they had previously completed a CT scan, MRI, and other blood tests, they were looking for additional "markers" from these most recent tests.  What they found was not what we expected, and a little blow, or set-back, to what we had originally been told.  The cancer, or tumor, has quite possibly protruded the exterior wall of the intestine.  Not good.  This is when, and how, cancer spreads into other organs, lymph nodes, and cells.  What they "think" is that he's at a stage 2, possibly 3, and that it could have quite possibly spread into his nerve cells (not good), but he's, so far, showing no signs of it spreading into his lymph nodes (good).  They'll know exact details and further treatment of what we're dealing with, at the conclusion of his surgery, and once the affected cells are sent off to be biopsied. 

Moving forward....dad is expected to be in the hospital for 3 nights, which is worse than a jail sentence to him.  He's so active, and loves his work, and love to play basketball, that it's a true punishment for him to be "bed-ridden" for any time.  He's supposed to take it easy for 6 weeks, post-surgery, but I have a feeling he'll be damn determined to, AT LEAST, be playing croquet on the beach over Labor Day weekend.  And I'm sure he'll be tending to his yard in the mountains, at some point.  Other than our children, that's his "baby."  IF they do determine there are invasive cells in his nerves, or otherwise, he'll have to undergo 6 months of chemotherapy.  A port will be installed, and he'll undergo a 42 hour drip, which will knock him out for the weekends.  Not fun, but if this is his ticket to sticking around for forever, which he TOTALLY is going to do, then he'll do it. And he'll kick cancer's ass.

Yesterday Brian, the kids, and I went to visit Mom, Dad, and Uncle JP, who is in town for the surgery.  When I got to the house, Wally, Dad, and 2 other guys were sitting around the basketball court, soaked in sweat, chatting away.  I'm amazed, and happy, that Dad got in a game "BS," or before surgery.  Both terms are fitting for this. 

Please say a little prayer for Dad, and all of us, and check for more blog updates, which will happen as I know more.  My Dad is tough as nails, so we know everything will be fine, but it's no less scary for any of us! 

The kids love their Grumps, and he adores them!

No comments:

Post a Comment