Thursday, April 10, 2014

Cooper River Bridge Run 2014 and Update on Bob/Grumps

I think this was my 11th year running the Bridge Run.  The only year I have skipped, since I started, was when Payton was due one week before the race, April 5, 2010.  Brian and I even ran in 2012, when I was 20 weeks pregnant with Griffin, while carrying Payton part of the race.  That was my first, and last, time taking a stroller and kiddos along.  When they are older, and can run 6 miles, they'll join in for sure!  This trip was just the Millers, and me.  Brian stayed home with the kids, and they stayed busy with birthday parties, and visits with friends.  Nana and Granddude were in town Friday until Saturday mid-day, so the kids were more than entertained.  Payton has sure had her fair share of birthday parties this year!  It was a nice change of pace to be able to have a weekend with no plans, other than the run, not having to worry about eating times, naptimes, or bedtimes, but I did miss Brian and the kids.  As always, I ran into many friends after the race, some planned, and some random.  And I was able to meet up with some friends from school who live in Mt Pleasant.

We arrived in time to unpack and go grab dinner.  Friday night pre-race is always an early night.  Within 60 seconds of getting out of the car, I hear "Leigh Long!" from an old friend. She and her buddies were staying in the same condos we were.  The weather was nice.  Mandi, Nick, and I went down to the beach, just before sunset, then headed off to dinner at the Boathouse.





The run, itself, I wasn't sure how I would do.  I had not trained for this one, as I usually do.  Last year was my personal best, by far, at 51 minutes, 35 seconds.  I knew there was no way I would do better than that.  But Nick had faith...and at the wee age of 23, he had lots and lots of energy.  He was awesome and ran just in front of me the whole race, waiting on me.  He could have crushed our time, but he wanted to push me...in fact, he did so much that not only did I (barely) beat my time from last year (finish time this year: 51 minutes, 5 seconds), I finished in the top 50 in my age group.  Not bad, considering there were 38K runners/walkers there.
We were in the competitive corral...look how close to the start line we were!  We weren't able to see the Kenyans though :(

READY!
I finished 45th in my age group

FINISHED!


 Staying with tradition, we had celebratory beers afterwards.  We went to a new place, suggested by my friend, Amy, from junior high, called Burns Alley.  We were the second people there, and scored a great outdoor table.  It was packed within 30 minutes.  I had run into a guy, Brandon, who I hadn't seen in probably 5 years, and he and his friends also met us.  Brian and I met Brandon at a UNC/VT football game and went to several VT football games with him.
Amy, who I played basketball with at McClintock Jr High, is the tall girl with her arms in the air.  Such a fun group of people!

This is Brandon, who Brian and I met at the UNC/VT game about 5-6 years ago. He owns a catering business in Richmond, VA.  I randomly ran into him.  Love the girl photobombing, by the way...

Shortly afterwards, we headed to the water to take a boat shuttle back to Mt Pleasant, where Mandi was picking us up.  We were on the exact boat that Brian and I had our rehearsal dinner on.  Pretty cool and nostalgic.  I was looking forward to beach time!  It was a perfect, sunny day....spent it on the beach, lying out and throwing the football. The beach was packed!  Then we went to the Windjammer for drinks and volleyball.  Well, I didn't play, but watched Mandi and some of the locals.  Brandon and his crew met us there.

Waiting on the boat...we just conquered the bridge behind us!

The infamous Ravenel Bridge...2 miles to this, 1 mile up, a little over a mile down, and 2 miles into downtown.  Fun race!
Brandon, Me, Keith, and Tall Paul

Toes in the sand!  Thankful for a gorgeous beach day!

Watching Mandi kill it in volleyball at the Windjammer



We had a nice dinner at Morgan Creek Grille, on the water, then went to meet up with my old friend, Tracy, at the Windjammer.  They had an 80s band playing. I'm still not sure the Millers knew any of the songs, since Mandi was born in 1989 and Nick in 1990, but they still had fun (I kid!  I know you guys knew at least ONE of the songs, haha!) 

With Tracy, who I haven't seen in years, and her friend Emily would be the photobomber


Sunday morning we had brunch, with mimosas, of course, at an awesome place Mandi wanted to go...Page's Okra Grille, in Mt Pleasant.  It was totally worth the wait, and I think we each gained 5 pounds.  It was cool and raining off and on, but we wanted to explore Charleston.  We actually got pretty lucky.  It was just sprinkling a bit, but mostly just overcast.  We shopped then met my friend, Whitney, at Mac's.  It was good catching up.  Another friend of mine who lives downtown Chucktown, stopped by briefly and dropped off like 3 dozen cookies, from his birthday (he was catching a flight that afternoon).  Thanks, Mathias!
Mimosas!

Glad this wasn't our running weather!
Ready for the derby!
Brian Mathias, Me, Whitney

It was a long, fun weekend...we all look so tired here!

 On the way to Sullivan's Island, we stopped at Jenny and Will's house in Mt Pleasant.  Jenny and I have known each other since the 5th grade, and we spent last 4th of July with them, and their sweet girls.  It was fun catching up, but too short of a visit! 


We finished off our weekend eating at Poe's...a place I always enjoy going.  We were tired.  I was really tired.  We had a beer at Dunleavy's, played some games, and called it an early night.  It was a fun weekend, and I think Nick is now hooked on the Cooper River Bridge Run.  Hoping to have a full crew again next year, with the kiddos, dogs, and full house for the NCAA tournament....because I know my Heels will be playing ;) 

Dad, Grumps, Robert, Bob, Luke, etc....had an annual physical on Monday.  The doc gave him a clean bill of health (as far as a GP can).  Doc said he doesn't look nearly his age, and we all know he doesn't act it!  He has noticed a lot more stiffness and joint pain after he plays basketball.  His parents had, and his brother has, rheumatoid arthritis, so he's thinking that could be setting in.  The doc said the chemo could have exacerbated that.  Tuesday he had the joy of drinking some delicious Crystal Light, which included a touch of radioactive liquid.  He did this for over an hour and was called back for his MRI.  The drink allows them to see both his digestive and circulatory system.  They said the cancer cells feed off of this radioactive stuff, so they can see if there is anything of concern.  Thursday (today), was the day they read the results.  A day we've all been praying about and both looking forward to getting it over with and dreading.  So, what did they say?  Well, it was GOOD NEWS!  He is totally cancer-free!!!  We couldn't be more relieved, thankful, and blessed.  I guess all of your prayers really did help, so THANK YOU!  He will be taking a baby aspirin every day, which has proven to reduce the chances of colon cancer recurrence. Also, he may go on an experimental drug (or could be the placebo) which has been proven to also drastically reduce the recurrence of colon cancer.  Moving forward he will continue to get a colonoscopy and undergo tests every 3 months, so IF something returned, they would be able to react quickly.  So, thanks for all of your thoughts, prayers, phone calls, texts, cards, and emails.  Going through this is difficult for any family, as I know some of you have been through it, or are currently living through this.  Stay positive.  Lean on your friends and family.  That's really all anyone can do, and I think it makes a world of difference.  Grumps, it's now officially to start increasing your dose of resveratrol.  So open up one of those tasty bottles of cab this weekend.  YOU deserve it!



Stay tuned for Payton's big girl 4th birthday blog post...she said it was the most awesome birthday ever!  And since she probably can't remember her first two, I'm not sure how much of a compliment that is.  HA!  She's very much looking forward to her birthday party on Saturday.
Watch out world...I'm FOUR!!

No comments:

Post a Comment