Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A Visit with the Kinworthys...Lake of the Woods, VA

Okay, I'm falling behind on my blogs again...sorry!  I promise to get caught up soon :)

After almost a 6 hour car ride on Wednesday night, August 20th, we arrived at the beautiful "Lake of the Woods."  We had to pass through "Wilderness, VA" to get there, so yes, this lake is certainly, in the woods!  It's an awesome set up...about 900 houses located along the shores of a pretty straight 3 mile lake.  For a wakeboarder/wakesurfer, what this means is, unless it's a windy day, it's incredible! There were rarely more than 3-4 boats out at any one time. 

The Kinworthy's live in Northern, VA, but have this awesome weekend lake house.  Aaron's mother, Gerry, used to be my next door neighbor, and Anna is his lovely wife, from England.  Connor (7) and Sophie (5.5) are their kids, and they are "river rats."  Wakesurfing and wakeboarding...starting them out right, starting young!!  We have met up, several times, over the years since Aaron's mom, Gerry, moved out.  I love these people.  They are good, no great, friends. Aaron was like "a kid at Christmas" excited that I was coming, because he knows how into the lake, and board sports, I am.  Bonus, I can drive a boat.  We had so much fun together!  So, although cloudy and cool, at times, we rocked that lake.  Aaron and I learned our 360's, and our kids got to go kayaking, tubing, wakeboarding, and wakesurfing.  I don't think I've ever seen a bigger smile on Griffin's face than when he's tubing.

So, here are the pictures of the long weekend of fun...



I'm pretty sure he never actually jumped


Taking Sophie for her first wakeboard ride...but later, she shows us what she can do ALONE!

Connor...at just 7 years old, ROCKING the wakeboard!










Aaron and Connor on the wakesurfer...Proud Daddy moment here!

She loved paddling...she and Brian went across the lake to take pictures of us surfing!


Callie had a blast too.

What is it with boys and peeing outside, anyway?  EVERY time he needed to pee, he would ask to go outside and for me to pull his shorts down.  Then he would take them all the way off, pee, and run around naked.  True story.



Two "ugly ducklings" came to say hello

Two peas in a pod.  Well, in a tube.


Meet "Fizzy" and "Fuzzy"

I've seriously never seen Griffin this happy.


Heaters...Silly girls.  It was chilly!

Sweet Anna and Me
Seriously happy children


My first time trying to get up with someone else on the board.  I did okay, but not great...I got better with practice :)



Sad Sophie :(




His little legs weren't long enough to hang into the water, but he sure is getting brave!
A shredding it up!

My new "trick"...kneeling down then standing back up.  It's not as easy as it may look :0


An old "trick"...hey, I get thirsty out there!

What you don't see here is that I was the boat driver.  WATCH OUT! HA!

Look at those baby blues...no editing.  no filter.
Sophie's first time trying to wakeboard...ever.  SHE'S FIVE, PEOPLE!


And she's up!!

And loving it :)  Payton talked about trying, but never got up the courage.  Next summer, for sure!  Way to go, Sophie!
At 7 years old, Connor is an old pro.  Already trying to catch air.



Back on the tube!


HANG ON!!!!

Smiles all.weekend.long.



Me and Soph...we let go of the handle together.  Whoop!

She's just getting to be a little pro now!




These twins, and their little brother, were incredibly sweet.  The kids all got along really well, which allowed the adults to relax!
Pillow Fight!




Twin #1

Twin #2 (hey, I can't remember who is who!)

The 360 wind-up

Proud Dad...again.

I see no one having any fun.  Nope.  Not one person.  Okay, well, maybe one.

Well, that sums up our August lake vacation to visit with the awesome Kinworthy family.  We can't wait to go back!  Next up...the BEACH :)  We don't really sit still.  Ever.  Well, at least I don't!  Fall is in the air, kids are back in school, the days are growing shorter, and cooler.  Although I do look forward to football, bonfires, candy corn, and Halloween, I'm not ready to let this #lakelife go for the year.  It's a good thing I found my wetsuit!

Update on everyone around here, as we get settled into the school year.  Payton is liking her class, but not loving it yet.  There are a few of her friends from the past two years in her class, but her besties are all in the 5 day class (she's just in 4 days).  She is learning to write her numbers and letters really well, and can spell a handful of words.  She knows quite a bit of Spanish, and loves to make up words and sing songs.  Griffin, well, he's a mess.  The first several days of school he cried when I left him. The second week seems to be going much better.  He is very independent and entertains himself often (much like his daddy and uncle).  Other than pull ups at night, I finally feel confident in saying that he's fully potty-trained (FINALLY).  The boy loves to pee in water.  LOVES.  He likes to ride his skateboard, and would like to ride his bike more often.  As it cools off, we'll have to take the kids to a safe, flat area for them to cruise around.  Soccer Shots starts in a couple of weeks, and both kids are excited for that.  Payton will be starting dance soon, as well.

Here are some other recent pictures...
At his 3 year old check up, with Dr. Nguyen

Checking out his muscles, haha!

Practicing up for soccer!

Becky and Payton...at a Yachtsman Beach Party

G with "Cootie Guy!"

Zach, Me, Nick (it was Zach's going away party...and we're going to miss him!)


This picture makes me crack up!

As does this one...

Zach teaching Griffin the "Nestea Challenge"

Ooops!

Try again...

Ashley (Cootie Guy's sister) with Vienna





I'll get to work on posting pictures from our Labor Day beach trip, as time allows.  Things don't seem to be slowing down for me at all, but that's how I like it :) 

1 comment:

  1. I would pull the little blondes shorts down anytime! with a butt like that.

    ReplyDelete