Wednesday, January 20, 2010

29 Week Check Up....or was it 32 Weeks?

Yesterday Brian and I took Baby K to the doctor's office for yet another ultrasound and visit with the doctor. Well, I guess I really took Baby K in, because Brian's back really isn't hurting enough for him to be carrying our baby around!! My mom joined us. When I was in the bathroom giving my usual sample, I could overhear guesses about what the baby might weigh now. Mind you, we were JUST in there 3 weeks ago, and had an ultrasound. The baby then weighed 2 pounds, 8 ounces. Brian guessed 3 pounds, 3 ounces, and I was sort of kidding when I said around 4 pounds. Now, wait for it......................the baby's weight came in at a very healthy 3 pounds, 14 ounces! Oh my. That's a gain of 1.5 pound in less than a month! I then asked, again, about the size of the big head. It is measuring 28.3 cm. For those of you unaware, to have a baby naturally, you dialate 10 cm.....you can do the math. All I can say is OUCH! I think an epideral might just become my best friend come delivery day. Baby K is in the 83rd percentile of size...long legs, long arms, large head, long body, measuring almost 3 weeks ahead of schedule. Baby K was moving around like crazy. The tech said we have a little (big!) acrobat in there! Instead of the normal legs crossed baby, the baby was in a very precarious position....head is still down, umbilical cord over the eyes, a hand over the mouth, a FOOT up by the mouth, and the OTHER foot up by my ribs....uncomfortable!! We did get some great news....the kidneys, which they had been keeping an eye on, are in the "normal" functioning range now, so whatever concerns they had are now resolved. The heartbeat was 130 and my blood pressure was good, and still dropping....100/70. I have definitely had some swelling start, and for that, I have gained some weight in the past month. I'm ready to bust out our Bob jogging stroller and get moving. The only thing is, until Baby K makes "his" arrival, I have to stay put. My fluid levels are still dropping, so unless I want to be on bedrest, I have to literally do nothing. Go to work, lie on the couch, and go to bed. For an active person, this really sucks!! Normal fluid levels are from 10-20cm. My last three readings have been 13, 11.4, and 9.8. So, until my fluids drop to 5 cm, they'll let Baby K keep on cooking! We fully expect a March baby now, so Brian probably won't get his April Fools Day present.

You may have noticed the "his" in a former sentence above. Yesterday, the ultrasound tech referenced "him" 2 or 3 separate times, but then back-tracked to ensure us she hasn't looked at our charts, and doesn't know the sex. I'm fully convinced now that we are having a boy. Guess we better start talking names!!

We will have yet ANOTHER ultrasound and doctor's visit on February 4th. This time they will also be doing a non-stress test, just to make sure the baby is still moving around, and thriving in my "oven." It's really hard to believe that we could very likely be holding our "son" within the next 8 weeks! Lot's to get done, and I guess I'll manage Brian's activities from the comfort of the couch ;) Stay tuned!!

We had an Intro to Infant Massage class last night. It was definitely something we will try. It's supposed to relax the baby, help with gas, sleeping, bonding, pooping, reflexes, and many more benefits. We have a tour of the hospital tonight, an interview with our last candidate for a pediatrician tomorrow afternoon, and many more upcoming baby classes. Time is flying. Really flying!!

No comments:

Post a Comment