Monday, December 10, 2012

40. It's just a number.

And just like that, I'm (almost) 40.  A day that used to seem a lifetime away. When I was a kid, the days never seemed to end.  The summers were super-long.  Christmas seemed so far away.  My birthdays would never get here soon enough.  I was always adding a 1/2 year onto my age.  Here I am. A daughter. A wife.  A mother.  40.  I'm probably in the best shape of my life.  Just set a personal record for my 4th half marathon.  Sure, my knees make noises, and I have some unwelcome wrinkles, but they are from laughing.  Laughing with my family, and with my friends.  So THANK YOU ALL for giving me wrinkles.  Keep 'em coming for another 40 (or 50, or 60) years! 

I am so grateful for the wonderful people in my life.  I'm grateful for my parents who help us out with the kids SO very much.  My mother, day in and day out, who entertains, feeds, wipes tears, and behinds.  My inlaws who drive down from Virginia once a month to keep the kids and give my mother a break.  My husband who is SO hands-on with the kids, and helps me so very much.  I am very blessed. 

So, enough of the sappy stuff.  This past Saturday Brian and I, and 23 of our closest friends, took a party bus to Childress Winery, in Lexington, NC.  What better way to celebrate my "coming into adulthood" than drinking my favorite beverage with my closest friends?  Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly....thanks for the wrinkles you gave me, guys!  I'm still smiling ear to ear.  What a great time had by all.

On our way!  Thanks to Cheryl and Brenda for the morning mimosas!






The masquerade masks were a hit!













I have laughed more at this picture than anything.  Thanks for the wrinkles, Jace!













Jon "roasting" me...telling stories of our past.






All I want for Christmas is....






Our bus driver, Ali

Nice Blublockers, Jon!






Thanks for the AWESOME wine glass, Celeste!








So, here I am.  Facing 40 on 12/12/12, which some have dubbed "the beginning of the end of the world."  Lol.  40. It's a time of reflection, self-evaluating your accomplishments, failures, and where you are now in this not-so-large world of ours.  In the past 10 years my life has changed drastically.  I have changed and grown.  I hope I'm growing into a mother my kids are proud of as they get older.  I hope I'm turning into a better daughter for my parents.  A better sister to my brother.  And I hope I'm learning to become a better friend.  One who talks less and listens more. It's hard to admit faults, say you're sorry, and show weakness, but I'm hoping to become more vulnerable in my more, "mature" status.  Hello 40.  I'm ready for ya!

1 comment:

  1. That looked like fun!!
    I know you are freaking out of your "a-hem" escalating age, but here is some perspective...Nate's dad didn't see 40. He didn't see 39, even. It's funny as the years creep up on us, there is a silent cheering section for Nate that he can make that hill and see 40, 50, 60 and maybe 70. He'll be the first in 3 generations.
    And besides, you look fantastic! You glow. You are a mother. a wife. a friend and you have a great laugh. What more can you ask for? Be proud to be 40. It's a milestone! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete