Friday, March 8, 2013

I'm 40, and I still have "it"

Well, the "it" part is being able to hang with the boys on the slopes.  I made it three, FULL days, at Snowshoe, with NO injuries.  YAY!  Gary and I arrived at the Shoe around 5pm on Sunday, to about a foot of snow on the ground.  It was a winter wonderland! 



Monday, our first day out, turned out to be a COLD bluebird day.  Not a cloud in the sky!  Two other guys, Scott and Mark, who are with K2 skis and snowboards, stay with Gary this particular trip, each year.  He gives them a place to stay, and they hook him up with free snowboards and gear.  Pretty cool.  I even got a free pair of super nice K2 goggles out of it.  They were super nice guys,and they were there for the "Demo Days," where ski shop owners can come try out next year's gear.  I rode a couple K2 boards, and loved one of them.  Scott, the main K2 rep, is a runner, and Ironman, so all of our conversations made me feel even more guilty for not running lately.  I WILL go this weekend! 




Gary and Me...heading back up for another run!

Me, in a snowdrift...look at all that snow!!

View from the Boathouse
The only clear night we had...gorgeous sunset over the west ridge

This was the typical sight each evening, as I showered, cooked, cleaned, and took care of the boys...lol.  Okay, maybe not ALL that, but they sure did relax more than I!


Gary, Me, Mark (K2 rep)

Me, Scott (K2 rep/Ironman), Gary
Tuesday was much warmer, but very foggy.  The snow was super mushy and nice.  We had a great day demoing boards, and getting in lots of runs!  That afternoon, the K2 guys packed it up, only to head to another demo at Sugar Mountain, Tuesday night.  So, Gary and I got some dinner, and called it a night early, so we could be the first ones out on Wednesday.

 In the meantime, the phone and internet connections up there are spotty, at best.  I had to get Brian to call me on the condo phone, most of the time.  I could get a text to go out in about ONE spot of the condo, and no where else on the mountain.  The internet service was down for the first two days, and I was dying!  I wanted to see our kids SO badly!  A storm, "Saturn," was slowly making its way from the midwest.  They were predicting upwards of 18" on Tuesday night into Thursday morning.  I had to make a decision...go, or stay and risk getting home Thursday.  After LOTS of contemplating, I had decided to head home Tuesday night.  I was missing Payton and Griffin like crazy, and I couldn't stand the possibility of not being able to get back Thursday.  BUT, Brian actually talked me into staying for the storm.  For that, I am SO grateful!...after all, the whole reason I was there was to snowboard, and what snowboarder doesn't wish for a big dump?  And, after finally getting internet service back at the condo, I was able to FaceTime with the kids each day, which helped me out, a tiny bit.  There is nothing like their little hugs and kisses in person, though! 

Nana and Granddude were there from Tuesday to Thursday morning, helping Brian, and my mom, out with the kids, so they were well taken care of!  Plus, Granddude's birthday is next week, and they all got to celebrate it together.  That was a special time for them all!


The beginning of winter storm "Saturn"

From the condos, Tuesday night.  Dumping.

 And "dump" it did!  We got about a foot of snow overnight.  Wednesday was, once again, a winter wonderland.  Gary had talked a couple of our friends into making the drive for this storm, that Wednesday morning.  While they were on their way, Gary and I made it to the slopes right before 9am, when the rope drops.  We literally got first tracks through the powder. All I could hear ALL around me was a bunch of "WOOOOO-HOOOOOO's."  Even one of the ski patrollers said that was the best snow he had seen in years.  It was a foot of fresh snow over the foot+ they just received.  Wow.  We were lucky to have timed this trip right, and BRIAN, baby, I'm SO glad you talked me into staying...wow.

Waiting for the rope to drop...the fog actually lifted just a little ways down the mountain

Down at the bottom of Cupp and Shay's Revenge, on the Western Territory side...Arbuckle's Cabin.  That's about 14 inches, and still snowing!

Look at that snow drift!

My old buddies, Lee, Gary, and Mark

Mark, Lee, Me, and Gary...that well earned beer tasted SO great!
Gary and I got on the road around 8:30am Thursday morning.  I couldn't believe that it was STILL snowing.  The roads, of course, had been scraped and treated, but it was still a very slow trip down the mountain, until a little past Marlinton.  I made it to the house just minutes before Brian pulled up with the kids.  Both I, and the kids, were SO excited to see each other.  Payton ran over and hugged my legs for forever, and told me she was "so so so so happy I was home."  She then ran over to my snowboard and put it on...she also asked God, in her prayers last night, to never, ever let her mommy go away again.  Whew.  Now that's some pressure!  It was also nice to see some sunshine!
It was nice to get home, start cleaning the house, and unpacking.  We are going to try to get some minor things done this weekend so that we can officially get the house on the market by next weekend.  Wish us luck!!  I'll leave you with this messy face...
Brian sent me this picture while I was gone.  My little lovebug.
Oh, and since we've been cutting out naps, sometimes, we just run out of steam toward the end of the day....and this day, I was lucky to even get pants on her.  Our little streaker!



No comments:

Post a Comment