Wednesday, April 10, 2013

9th Annual Cooper River Bridge Run AND Payton's 3rd BIRTHDAY!!



One of my favorite annual trips.  The Cooper River Bridge Run.  10K.  6.2 miles across a killer cable bridge.  The beer at the finish line always tastes the best.  I mean, it's a run at the beach.  What's better than that?  This was my 9th year running it, and I had set some personal goals.  My personal best was around 55 minutes, but that was "BK."  Before kids.  Last year, for whatever reason I finished in over 58 minutes, definitely not my best.  I wanted to break that 55 minute record.  Even better than that, I wanted to break 52 minutes, but I knew there was NO way that would happen...or would it?  Well, here it is.  My new PR for the Bridge Run:

TIME:  51:35
PACE:  8:18/mile (fast for me!)
PLACE OVERALL:  3060 out of 31,467 participants
OVERALL WOMEN:  736 of 18,493

This year, our house was located directly across from the Windjammer, the local "dive" bar, and all the shops and restaurants (and beach, of course).  Great location.  We didn't have to drive anywhere.  My friend, Carla, her husband Ryan, and son Weston, joined us all the way from Kansas.  Carla and I had connected on Parents.com message boards way back in 2009, and we've maintained a super close friendship through emails, texts, and phone calls.  This was our first time meeting face-to-face, and we were so excited.  It was their son, Weston's, first beach trip.  He's almost exactly a year older than Griffin.  Weston and Payton shared a room, and did AWESOME!  Also, in our house, was our dear friends, Jon and Janice Richardson (who are expecting a little boy in August), my dear friend, Whitney (who lives in Charleston), and our neighbors and good friends, Terri and Walter.  It was a bit chilly on the beach, but the kids didn't seem to mind.  Payton even swam around in the pool.  She's crazy.  I managed to get another run in Sunday morning, on the beach.  Two weekends in a row of that.  Seriously.  I'm getting spoiled. I LOVED it!  This past weekend was a welcome distraction to our broken hearts...there is definitely something healing about the ocean air, sights, and sounds.

Sunday, APRIL 7th, was Payton's THIRD birthday!  She was SUPER excited, waking up telling everyone that she was three!  When I went to hug her, then pick her up, she said, "Mommy, I'm three now.  I don't need to be picked up anymore."  Wow, they sure start young!  We spent the day on the beach, and at the pool, then treated her to dinner at a restaurant on the ocean, ice cream, then cake.  She got a bike, among other presents, for her big day.  We let her ride it to the ice cream shoppe.  She had a great birthday and is very much looking forward to her birthday party this Saturday!  Oh yeah, and last week, she got her haircut.  It's adorable!
Before

During...bye bye hair!

After



Here are some (a LOT) of pictures from the weekend.  Hope you enjoy!

FRIDAY:
The kids watching a Dora (or "Doh-Doh" as Griffin says) movie on the way to the beach!  (Thanks Granby and Grumps!)

The BEACH!  The very cold, beach!  Kids had a blast!

I'm not sure if she's trying to hug Weston, or lick him like ice cream!

All three kids, at one time or another, fell face first into the water.  They didn't seem to mind much.


Ryan, Carla, and Weston (2.5)...our friends from Topeka, KS


First time on the beach...how stinking cute is he?

SATURDAY:  Wally B and Me...the only two from our house who ran this year.  Before the 10K.
Boat ride back to Mt Pleasant, post-race, and post-race beer :)
Saturday afternoon on the beach.  It was gorgeous!





Did I mention the water was cold?  (Thanks Walter...I did NOT want to get in that water!)



Ice cream sammie mess








The Gang at the Windjammer...we were able to sneak away for the evening to see a band, while our preggo friends rested with the kiddos
Our long-lost friend, Cory

SUNDAY...the BIG birthday!
Waiting to open the elevator door to see her big surprise!

That smile says it all :)


They are precious!


Callie had a nice time on the beach...I wore her out starting the day with a 4.5 mile beach run.


Brian wanted a hole dug, so he put Callie to work.







Payton also coerced Katie into getting in the pool (THANK YOU KATIE!)  She played with Payton for SO long.  She said it wasn't bad once everything went numb ;)



How old are you today?


Little lifeguard, taking after mommy
Griffin convinced Jay to, at least, get his feet wet.

And I had to join in the "fun."  This is as wet as I got all weekend.  Too cold for this wimpy momma!  As I've said before, I don't think kids have nerve endings.


Payton trying desperately to convince Dan to get in the pool with her.  She was unsuccessful.

Birthday dinner!!



Lovebirds


PINK ice cream for the birthday girl.  But, of course!


Our little escapee.  He kept running toward the beach.
Happy THIRD birthday to our sweet, happy, girl who is full of sunshine and always keeping us on our toes!  We love you "to the moon and back," as Payton says.  We are so blessed to have been chosen as your parents!






My dear friend, Whitney Bridges

Probably my FAVORITE picture from the weekend!  The Kennedy and Kugler families.




Notice Griffin is eating Payton's knee.  I'm pretty sure he was unhappy about that.

One, two, three...JUMP!
Notice the sand dollar on her necklace.  The kids all got one from the restaurant.

Our Family

My beautiful Kansas friend, Carla

And that's it!  We are looking forward to more fun this weekend at Payton's party.  But first, I have to run a half marathon.  Ugh. Why do I do this to myself?  Also, I've signed up for the "Warrior Dash" in June.  Seriously.  I'm paying good money to torture myself.  Is there therapy for this type behavior?  lol.  Oh, and it's FINALLY warming up.  80's this week.  That makes this girl very happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment