Monday, December 7, 2009

19 Week Ultrasound

Today was the ultrasound where they could finally check those heart chambers out! They were able to do so easily, as Baby K is just growing by leaps and bounds, and so am I!! The tech showed us the 4 heart chambers, and we could see them beating. It was so amazing how in detail you can see such small organs. They also checked the kidneys, bladder, fluid, etc. I was told everything looked great, EXCEPT, my amniotic fluid was a little low, and there was a little fluid sitting around one of the kidneys. While we were watching, Baby K had a full bladder, and then expelled that bladder, so we know at least one of the kidneys is functioning. The doctor told us, at this point, this is totally normal, and most babies correct this problem on their own. They weren't concerned, but would like for us to come BACK in for yet another ultrasound in 4 weeks. The kidneys are about the size of a dime right now, so as they grow, whatever is not allowing the fluid to go through should grow and correct itself. As far as my fluid goes, they told me to take it easy, relax, lie on my left side as much as possible, and drink lots of water. Praying everything checks out fine at our next ultrasound. In the meantime, daddy gets to help me around the house, and give me lots of back massages, as my back is really starting to feel this extra weight. So far, I've gained (ugh) 16 pounds...the baby was measuring 20 weeks, 1 day, and weighs 12 ozs. Heartrate was 140 & 148.

It's getting harder, especially in the evening, to move around. My lower back is achy, and I'm having some pelvic and sciatic nerve pains. I did break my pelvic bone in a snowboard contest in the late '90's, so that may have a little to do with it. My weight gain & blood pressure are all great right now, and I have had no swelling. I have had some pregnancy induced carpal tunnel in my right wrist, and wear a wristbrace at night. Looking forward to seeing Baby K one more time, and hoping he/she cooperates at the next appointment and gives us a good picture!!

No comments:

Post a Comment